Thursday, March 11, 2010

No more gay marriages!

|EDIT (2018): I have acquired new knowledge since this post was written. If I was to interpret myself from back then: "The Church as an institution is chipping away at their brand value, when change their opinion on topics that were set in stone. It makes The Church seem weak and I would advice against that." That's the short version, and yeah, people can honestly be vegan or whatever, just, let me be me (let's see what I will write after another 8 years? :p). END OF EDIT|

Let me make this clear: I have nothing against homosexuals (I still find queer people, well, queer).

It's that simple!
Gay/Homosexual relationships have never before been acknowledged by any of the great religions in the world, and it is my belief that if they do, they are weak. To me, there is no doubt, gay people have no right at all to get married in the church. The church (whichever sub-religion you may be included in) is on its own and free to decide on what terms you're able to join or not. Religion is older than the clearly defined Human Rights, but...

Ohw it's not so simple...
The Human Rights are pretty clear, sexual preferences should not matter or prevent you from joining any group, religious or not. This basically means that you will now have to choose between:

Religion or Human Rights?
What is more important? Do we want to pay our respect to a religion that found its roots more than 2000 years ago and is foundation of many societies and nations today (eg. my own home country Denmark), or some only partially recognized (referring to countries like China) Human Rights that have not been in effect for a 100 years yet. Is the acceptance of gay marriages the beginning of a new era and will it help us put even more pressure on China to actually enforce and recognize Human Rights?

There is no definite answer...
My opinion is clear, even though I do not believe in any specific religion myself, I will till the end defend your right to have one. And when I see that people start infringing age-old religions by, by law, forcing the church (this debate is very current in Denmark) to accept gay marriages, someone have to rise and tell them a thing or two. At least I hope that you are now able to ask some more relevant questions, before taking a decision of your own, though it may seem like a small thing, it is important to see these kind of issues in a large scale.

Have a nice day!

2 comments:

  1. Living in the New York City area, there's a lot of homosexuals and yes a lot of them being in relationships. I think I've gotten used to the sight, and as you say, I have nothing against them. I remember speaking to my parents once about this, I have no problem accepting them, no need to be prejudice against them, but what difference is it if they're legally married or not? I mean religion isn't a general mode of acceptance by society is it? If so, then I believe something is wrong as marriage didn't exist before someone decided to establish it, but relationships always have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marriage used to be something you got done in the church and then you're supposed to spend the rest of your life together. Since marriage is so much more today, mostly a legally binding contract that, in case of a breakup, allows both parties to request half of their shared fortune.
    The latter is definitely an option I believe that gays should have too. My problem is whether or not they should have the blessing of a religious society as well, and here my opinion is pretty clear: No.
    To date I am not aware of any religious sect or cult that allows gay marriage, at least none of the old religions does and in my opinion, if they change, what good is their religion? Isn't religion supposed to be the ultimate answer to everything in life?

    ReplyDelete