Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Combining school and fun?

Sounds wrong right? Just like: "Normally I wouldn't..." but then why did you do it anyways? A question to which many probably does not have an answer, or don't want to answer, but...

Normally I wouldn't do this, but...
It happens to be so that apparently the Danish school system is introducing blog writing as a part of the English exam, and I'm like: "If I'm gonna do this shit anyways, I might as well throw it on my own blog!"... so here it is! The assignment is to first read a sample blog post (for all those that don't even know what it is, pfft!), and watch two video clips, then have your own say at said topic. This time, it's Starbucks! The two video clips are Are you in? and the Starbuck (red) Ad. And here is my attempt on the assignment:

What if I'm not in?
I have one major problem with Starbucks, before revealing it though, I'd like to share some of my thoughts on this company with you.

I think it's really nice that there are people out there who wants to help. I am not talking about the costumers, but somewhere inside the company Starbucks there must be some people that wants to help not only their local communities, as seen in their Are you in? ad, but also on a more large perspective with their (red) ad

To me it's obvious that all this charity coming from not only Starbucks, but also many other companies (e.g. Ronald McDonald foundation), must be seen as just another marketing trick, trying to boost sales. With coffee as expensive as Starbucks' is, they better be doing something sensisble with all my money.

My first (and only) experience with Starbucks was in The Lion Yard Shopping Centre in Cambridge, UK. Amazing place by the way, they even have the Dyson Airblade handdryer on their toilets there, I'll write more about why this handdryer is so amazing another day, back to the Starbucks coffee shop that is placed on the 1st floor right next to the exit of the escalator.

I went in there with my classmates who were all getting different drinks, not being a huge coffee fan myself, I ordered a large chocolala dé something. With some uncertainty due to the IKEA-effect* playing with my senses, I can say that this was indeed the second best cup of chocolate drink I have ever had, it was, amazing, so good that I still remember it today. Let us all take a moment to lean back, close our eyes and think at the last time we had a cup of our favourite drink...

... felt good right?

That memory is probably what makes Starbucks worth it, too bad that, except in the airports, there are none in Denmark...

*When you have walked around IKEA for long enough, ANY chair is a GOOD chair, so you end up sitting down in a random leather sofa to find yourself buying it 15 minutes later.

---
And that concludes our broadcast day, at least for the Starbucks part. What is your thought on Starbucks by the way? And is this a good way to do assignments in a school? Can you even consider a blog 'schoolwork', any thoughts folks?

2 comments:

  1. 1. I think teachers requiring writing a blog in what is your foreign language (English) is a great idea. Too often people who learn foreign languages only know the formal vocabulary, terminology and don't really know how to interact with those that are fluent. The conversation is usually awkward and even funny sounding (of course no offense to anyone but we all think it). Blogs have become really important in today's society, allowing people to express themselves. Now blogging in a foreign language challenges the individual because they are forced to use words they have learned and express themselves effectively. Sure blogs don't really seem to be the most conventional form of homework or schoolwork whatever you're referring it to as but why shouldn't it be? You have to apply what you learn and practice, and isn't that the point of the work you have to do outside of the classroom?

    2. Being someone who has done oh I don't know I'd say about 500 hours of community service in the past 6 years I think promoting it is a fantastic idea. To some extent this has to be a marketing trick, after all these are international corporations, they are businesses, this is what they thrive on. Needless to say, why can't this also be a real form of promotion of community service? I'm not one to have automatic negative thoughts about something and so I like to look at the positives, perhaps they really do want to help, they just can't provide all of their profit because as stated, they have to make money too. I've spent quite a large sum of money at Starbucks. Yeah their coffee, teas, fraps are good, but there's also a name, often even if I don't realize it or don't pay attention to it, it's a fashion trend too. Realizing after some time that all of my money was only going towards a momentary relief of thirst and perhaps a few hours of sugar rush I knew I had to cut down. Starbucks saying it will donate 5 cents is great, but I won't be able to get one of their special $4 (USD) lattes on a daily basis, I simply can't. Yet just because they are ridiculously pricey, it doesn't mean they don't have popularity, particularly in NYC, where there's a Starbucks on almost every other city block. It's accessible, people just have to make their own judgments at the particular time. Do I buy myself a venti caramel machciato or should I purchase the latest newsletter? You can't generalize what people will do, every one is different.
    (Excuse any grammatical errors or repetitions I haven't got the time to proofread right now)
    I hope this was somewhat insightful as to what you were trying to establish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much your comment that was indeed insightful. When I'm saying that you have to remember that these campaigns are merely marketing stunts, I'm not splitting things in "good" and "bad", or "negative" and "positive", rather just trying to provide another angle. If I wanted to do charity, I would buy that $1 coffee at the deli and then give my other $3 to the charity organisation of my choice. No it won't be starbucks, but if you want to combine coffee and charity (that almost seems like a concept-worthy slogan), it can be done more effectively.

    ReplyDelete